Saturday 14 December 2013

Third and last day in Sydney - Meet my cousin



G’Day mates,
Our third day in Sydney started quite early as our sleeping habits are still a bit messed up. We walked again along Pitt Street to Circular Quay and then to the Opera House. This time we do not look as exhausted as we did two days ago.



Then we sat down, logged into the free Wifi of the Opera House and spend our time with reading emails, writing a blog ;-) and uploading pictures onto Facebook until my cousin Neio called me on my Australian mobile phone number. As she had to work in the morning she joined us at 1pm. It took us about 10 minutes to find each other but finally we managed. Her mother and my mother are related to each other by our great-great-grand-parents (maybe there is one more generation, I am not sure; I have to look it up in our family tree).
We were first thinking about going to the Taronga Zoo but when we found out how much the ferry and the entry fee would cost per person (about 50 AUD each!) we decided against it, also because Neio had to get back home in only a few hours for her night shift. So we went towards the Government House behind the Opera House. We talked and walked through the Botanical Garden only to find out that the Government House is closed this day for some event. So we headed back to Circular Quay, set down at a café and talked on. She told us more about the expensive life in Sydney, especially as an international student. She has two jobs besides her studies to handle the cost of living and the university fees. After two hours of talking we went to the Opera House and the Customs House to take some pictures.




It was absolutely great and fun to meet her! I am always surprised at how big my family is and how widely spread they are around the globe. I hope to see her again, maybe in Australia or when she comes to Germany after finishing her studies. I wish her only the very best for her future!
Tomorrow we will leave Sydney and pick up a rental car to drive up the East Coast. I think, expect for Manly Beach I have fulfilled my My Checklist #1. Our next stop: the Blue Mountains!
Yours relative-visiting Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say now! Would you do the same thing or would you do it differently? Do you have any travel tipps for me for my onwards travels? let me know!