Wednesday 25 December 2013

Airlie Beach - Snorkeling and Whitehaven Beach for my birthday



Merry Christmas everyone!
On Christmas Eve, the 24th of December 2013 it was my 28th birthday! HONESTLY? I actually had to remind myself of this because this was so totally different from all my birthdays so far that I did not feel like it. It was too warm and sunny, Markus was with me (he is normally of course with his family) and most importantly, I was not with my family! It felt so strange! :-(
But Markus had a special birthday present for me: a sailing adventure tour to Whitehaven Beach! We got picked up at our hotel (Kipara Rainforest Retreat) and checked in at the harbor of Airlie Beach and boarded the purple sailing boat Camira.



After a short while we took off and it was the most blue sky ever!







We headed first for a coral reef where we went snorkeling! YEAH! That was awfully exciting with a good view on different coral formings and some really colourful fishes. Markus did some good videos with the waterproof GoPro (thanks a lot to his colleague who lend us the GoPor for this holiday!!!). So no pictures of this great 45 minutes tour. Back on board we headed straight for Whitehaven Beach! Everyone on board was waiting for this and we were one of the first in the crystalclear waters of Whitehaven Beach and on the beach:








These 90 minutes went by so quickly, it feels like a dream now looking back to it. The pure white sand is silica and does not get hot at all. On board again it was time for Christmas BBQ! We sailed around Whithaven Island and through some of the other 73 islands around the Whitsunday Islands and we absolutely enjoyed the sailing, the surroundings, the refreshments (BEER!) on board and talked to the other couple from Stuttgart. It was really great.





At about 6pm we were back in Airlie Beach, were dropped off at our hotel and after a quick shower we headed back to town for my birthday dinner at a seafood restaurant with some nice vegetarian options. This day was the most perfect one so far here in Australia. Sydney was unbelievable, feeding kangaroos and holding akoala was amazing, Fraser Island was magnificent but this whole day was just so great especially on my birthday without my family but with Markus, I feel very blessed!!! In the evening we watched the “Carols by candelight” show from Melbourne which got us a bit into the Christmas mood at last.
The next day we already had to leave Airlie Beach for our next stop another 350 km North: Townsville!
Yours Birthday-at-Whitehaven-Beach-celebrating-Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say now! Would you do the same thing or would you do it differently? Do you have any travel tipps for me for my onwards travels? let me know!