Tuesday 18 February 2014

Melbourne - South Market, NGV, Valentine's Day



Happy Valentine’s Day!

What did I do on Valentine’s Day all on my own in Melbourne? After breakfast I went back to bed. Yes, I slept in until about 12pm and then decided to go to the South Melbourne Market to have lunch there. It is only a 5 minute walk from the hostel. It is much smaller than the QueenVictoria Market and set up partly in a real building und not just under a hall. Also the shops are set up permanently which gives the market actually more a shopping center atmosphere than a market one.

 


The South Melbourne Market Dim Sims are supposed to be absolutely great so I chose a chicken one and a pork one with soya sauce. I thought this would be an entrée and I would have a proper lunch after them. But they really stuffed me!

 Well, women walking by with roses and special offers for Valentine’s Day were present all over the place and after an hour or so I left towards the East to the National Gallery of Victoria. This time the international one.

 




There was a little workshop where you could design your own necklace with a maximum of six pieces. I really enjoyed trying to be creative and left my necklace on the wall instead of taking it with me. I like the idea that I contributed to the Melbournian art scene.

 


 The museum closed at 5pm, so I went to Federation Square but unfortunately I could not connect to the FREE Wifi there. So I headed back to the hostel for some dinner and after that I just sat down in front of the TV. First I watched the end of a documentary about lifeguards on duty on Christmas Day on Bondi Beach, Sydney. Then a few episodes of The Big Bang Theory and then a few British people joined and we all watched the movie Valentine’s Day with Ashton Kutcher, Julia Roberts and other stars. It was a nice movie but still made me a bit sad about spending this day on my own. But well, what can I do?

Yours lonely Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say now! Would you do the same thing or would you do it differently? Do you have any travel tipps for me for my onwards travels? let me know!