Monday 27 January 2014

Melbourne - Australia Day celebrations



Happy Australia Day everyone!
On the 26th of January 1788 the first fleet from Great Britain arrived in Australia and marks the first European settlement and the foundation of Australia. This day is celebrated all over Australia and I stayed in Melbourne until this day on purpose. So three weeks after I first arrived in Melbourne I got up not too early but in time to witness the flag raising ceremony at the Town Hall.













Directly after this the parade started along Swanston Street with lots of different costumes and clubs founded by people from all over the world. They wore great costumes and created a fantastic atmosphere for one hour.













 



I headed back to the hostel to make me some lunch and then I met up with Laura and Sina (who arrived from New Zealand just a few hours ago) at Federation Square. We walked through the Gardens where lots of cars and other things were presented and some planes flew over us.







We went to Government House as it only opens to the public on Australia Day. We had to wait over an hour to finally get in.












Then we made our way to the Sidney Myer Music Bowl for a FREE concert.






After some dinner on Swanston Street we got to the Docklands to wait for the fireworks. 




I did not make any pictures of the fireworks but I can tell you that it was just spectacular! I have never seen such a fantastic and big firework in my live and it lasted for 15 minutes. It started massively and went on and on with big sparkles, loud bangs and incredible combinations. They used mainly the colors blue, red, white, yellow and green and ended with a sky full of golden sparkle. Absolutely amazing!
On my way to the hostel I passed Flagstaff Gardens and saw two possums! They look like cats on the pictures but I am certain these are possums.






I prepared my luggage for my very early (oh no…) departure the next day as I am flying to my next stop: Hobart in Tasmania!
Yours Australia-day-celebrating Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say now! Would you do the same thing or would you do it differently? Do you have any travel tipps for me for my onwards travels? let me know!