Wednesday 15 January 2014

Melbourne - Keeping busy and crocodile burger



Welcome to the next level of my adventure,
Because on Wednesday morning at 6:45am Markus left the hotel to go to the airport and I am now alone in big big Australia for the more challenging work part of my Working Holiday Visa. I cannot describe in words how sad his departure made me and of course I could not sleep after that. I checked out at 10am, left my luggage at the Miami Hotel Melbourne and began the incredible task to distract myself and get ready for a real backpacker life.
I went first to a Commonwealth branch nearby to set up a bank account which was very easy to do. Then I posted some postcards (I think a few of you will rub their hands here ;-) ). And back into the CBD of Melbourne for the search of a new mobile phone because my German mobile phone is five years old and has a few problems now with the phoning. So I was looking for a simple, cheap, unlocked mobile phone and this turned out to be a lot more difficult than opening a bank account. I went into five shops within one hour to finally get one. Here you can see from left to right: my German phone, my British phone and now my Australian phone :-)



Honestly, I deserved a nice lunch for that before I got my luggage from the Miami Hotel and headed for the Nomads All Nations Backpackers. After a few difficulties there with my credit card I got into the 4-bed-dorm for females and met two other German girls (German travelers all over the place!). But I refused to speak German and both of them were fine speaking English.
It was so damn hot in that little room (no air-conditioning) that I decided to go outside to the Batman Park (that’s really the name) at the river where there was a constant cool breeze. Then I got ready to head back to the Miami Hotel to meet Carly. She is one of the British girls we shared a taxi with when we arrived solate in Melbourne over a week ago. She gave me here number, so I could contact here as she is here on a Working Holiday Visa as well. So we talked all the way, got a beer at the Queen Victoria Night market and then set for dinner. I got myself a crocodile burger with hot chilli sauce!



I was actually very disappointed by it as it was not a piece of meat but mixed with onions and herbs and stuff. It tasted good but more because of the very hot sauce and all the herbs. It did not taste any special or particularly different to anything else I have eaten. Well, Carly and I had a nice time going around and then she showed me here temporary home which is really nice. She even offered me to come around when I have nothing to do or when I feel a bit down. So incredibly lovely!
At 10pm I was back in the hot hostel and went into the kitchen because that’s the place with the best Wifi connection. Here I am, writing my blog and trying to get a decision as to where to move next. Any ideas or suggestions are very welcome!!!
Yours sad-and-crocodile-eating Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say now! Would you do the same thing or would you do it differently? Do you have any travel tipps for me for my onwards travels? let me know!