Monday 13 January 2014

Melbourne - Australian Open



Cheerio folks,
Today is a big event day in Melbourne and we were part of it: The start of the Australian Open 2014! That’s what we bought the tickets for on Saturday. We got on the tram at 10:30am and headed to Melbourne Park where lots and lots of people where queuing up to get inside for some hopefully exciting tennis matches.









We walked along the paths and in between the two big arenas where we could not get in with our Ground Passes as these arena tickets cost a hell of a lot more. But we watched several matches which were exciting. Unfortunately we both did not know the rules very well and had to figure out what was going on. My father loved to watch tennis and in the 80’s Steffi Graf was getting famous, so my father thought “Stefanie seems to be a typical German name. I will name my daughter like this as she is born in Germany.” Et voila: I was named after Steffi Graf! No joke, true story.



 It was very hot at 34 degrees Celsius, luckily we had hats, sunscreen, a towel and a umbrella with us to have some protection. We got some expensive lunch, watched some more games and at 5:30pm decided to get into the only bigger arena we could enter with our passes. We watched a German girl beat an Italian (ranked no. 7)! HURRAY! Sorry to my Italian friends but that’s the way it is :-)
 The next game was a lot more disappointing, so we left after the first set. We headed to Federation Square to have a well-deserved beer after all that sport in the Young & Jackson Bar. It got famous through a nude picture...



And that was it, the start of the Australian Open. I am looking forward to the last day of it as its on the same day as Australia Day. That is going to be some massive party here!
Yours tennis-watching Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say now! Would you do the same thing or would you do it differently? Do you have any travel tipps for me for my onwards travels? let me know!