Tuesday 21 January 2014

Melbourne - Guided walking tour and meeting people

G'Day people, 
This Monday marks two weeks of me being in Melbourne! Oh my god, time has past so quickly! Through the help of friends, the Lonely Planet and the information of the Visitor Information Center (and all the self-guided tours) I already think I know my way around the CBD. Nevertheless I thought it would be a good idea to participate in a guided walking tour. So Laura and I went to the State Library at 2:30pm.



There FREE guided tours start every day and you will recognise the guides by their green shirts.
I already saw that in Sydney and they operate on a tipps-only basis and the guides are locals. This student called Alex really did a good job of showing us around, giving us an overview of the Melbourne history and also his personal views of the city.


We came again across a lot of street art which is allowed in some dessignated areas and streets in Melbourne. Some of them are really impressive works.


I knew most of the streets and lanes already but there were still some more to discover. It's amazing how much there is in between the main streets and in just one minute walk you think you have entered a totally different town.




After three hours of walking the tour ended at the Hamer Hall with a fantastic view on the Melbourne skyline, next to the Arts Center where you can play music if you like.




I really liked the tour and gave Alex a generous tip, a lot of people gave him notes but some also just went without giving him a tip. Well, that's how it is. I think we should introduce this to Germany or maybe it's already there but I do not know about them.
Anyway, at 5:30pm I had to rush to get changed and get to the Melbourne Central Station to meet Subothini. I am not sure if I am related to her or not. But I met her years ago in Oslo and I took the chance to meet up with her here in Melbourne. We ate burgers and talked but not for long as she was tired from work and wanted to head home early. But we decided to catch up again soon.
Back in the hostel I met some more new people as I joined a card game and another German girl Merle came into the room I am staying in. You meet people very easily in hostels. That's good to help deal with the loneliness.
Yours Melbourne-walking Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say now! Would you do the same thing or would you do it differently? Do you have any travel tipps for me for my onwards travels? let me know!