Friday 13 June 2014

Cervantes - Sandboarding, lobsters and the pinnacles at night

Alrighty mates,
On Sunday morning Christine and I got onto a bus and a train into the city center of Perth together with Maria and Erin (I know them from the Southwest tour and we have been surfing and to a Australian Rules Football game together). We picked up a rental car and after all the paperwork took off towards the North at about 9:45am.



Our first stop after an 1.5-hour drive was Lancelin where we hired two sandboards and then got into the sand dunes.
This is the rental car, a Honda i20. Small but quite nice.





And here we are: Erin, Maria, Christine and me with the sandboards ready to go!



 I didn't take my camera with me as I already lost one camera due to sandboarding. So these are the pictures of Christines iPhone.







People with off road vehicles, 4WD, dirt bikes and squats raced up and down the dunes. Unfortunately it was very cloudy.



Nevertheless we had lots of fun! After a shaky start we raced down the sand dunes. Just getting up the steep and, well, sandy dunes was very exhausting.






At 12:30pm we handed back the boards and drove further North over the Indian Ocean Drive where we regularly encountered this sign.



At about 1:45pm we arrived in Cervantes at the Lobster Shack. We were living the dream...kind of...









As the next boat would be in only in about half an hour we took the time to eat something.



Christine and I tried the grilled lobster. This weekend we are really in the mood of getting into Australian wild animal food.



To be honest: it wasn't really nice or didn't even satisfy us. Luckily we had brought some sandwiches with us as well.



At 2:30pm the tour started. We were first shown a 5-minute film about the company, lobsters, fishing practices and more lobsters.



Then we got our audio guides and headed into the factory! Lobsters EVERYWHERE!!!









We went through the factory, listened to the audio guide information about each station and especially watched the grading process where the catched lobsters are automatically graded depending on their weight. It ranges from A as the smallest grade of about 350 grams to H of about 2.5 kilograms!





At shortly past 3pm we had finished the factory tour and stepped outside into the rain. NOOO! It rained. Ah well, we headed further North to Jurien Bay to have a look at this really nice beach where you can also do skydiving.





Then we drove South again and through Kangaroo Point where we actually saw a few kangaroos hopping across the street! Luckily I didn't hit any of them. I think we saw about 10 kangaroos. (I was driving and Christine did take a video instead of pictures. But I can't upload the video right now. I will do that later. PROMISE!) At 4:25pm we arrived at the Pinnacles Desert Discovery Center and had literally two minutes to go through it as they were about to close.







Then we followed the walking trail and finally arrived at the Pinnacles! And lots of them.











While we walked amongst them it started to rain. We wanted to see them during the sunset but due to the cloudy sky there wasn't a real sunset. Instead we decided to drive through them as there is a designated path for vehicles. It kind of looked a bit spooky.





Christine took a picture of the car at night. In the rain. In the pinnacles.



At about 7pm I drove us all back in the dark and in quite heavy rain to Perth. We arrived back in Manning at about 9pm but to Christine and me it more felt like midnight. We have seen and done so many things during this day and for me all the driving was really exhausting as well (I did all the driving alone).
But I was glad to have done this trip, especially not alone. Christine and I had a lot of fun!
But it is not over yet. We had one more stop for the next and last day of her stay in Perth: the Swan Valley!
Yours Pinnacles-visiting Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say now! Would you do the same thing or would you do it differently? Do you have any travel tipps for me for my onwards travels? let me know!