Tuesday 18 November 2014

Malaysia - Langkawi island - Relaxing pur and last organisation

Dear island lovers (again),
In my third week in Malaysia I decided to get to the next island, further North. I got on the 2pm ferry from Penang island to Langkawi island. The clouds were pretty dark and it rained as well during the three-hour-trip but luckily it wasn't too rocky and I didn't get seasick.









On Langkawi I stayed in the main town Kuah next to the ferry point. I had some nice Nasi Goreng Tomyam for dinner.



For the next morning I was booked onto an island-hopping tour. But safety first!



The big eagle statue is standing next to the ferry point on Langkawi.





While we cruised through all these islands (there are 99 islands around Langkawi) this reminded me very much of the beautiful Whitsunday Islands and I really wished I wasn't alone here.





On the first island the monkeys greeted us. No joke! As soon as all the boats got towards the jetty the monkeys came out of the trees and waited for the passengers.






It was a beautiful beach and the water so nice and clear.










From the jetty you saw lots of different fishes. Some people fed them with bread.








After about 45 minutes we got on our boat again and drove into a bay nearby where about 20 to 30 eagles were circling in the sky. It was time for their feeding.




Every boat driver had a supply of meat with them which they throw in front of their boat and sure enough one eagle after the other dived down to get a piece.




Can you see the head, the breast and the pregnant belly in the picture below? This is the island of the pregnant maiden.



The third stop was to the Dayang Bunting Marble Geoforest Park.



We followed a paved path for about 10 to 15 minutes, encountered lots of monkeys along the way to get to the lake of the pregnant maiden. The story goes that after the prince seduced the maiden with the tears of mermaids into marrying him, she got pregnant but lost her child and cried so much that this lake has been created. Then she blessed the lake that whoever swam in the lake should be able to conceive.


Well, in case you are wondering, I didn't actually swim in the lake but put my feet in. So...



After this stop we got back to the ferry and by 1pm I was back in my hotel. I had a little nap and then took off two hours later to the Duty Free Shopping Mall as Langkawi is a duty free island :-) I got lost and it started to absolutely splash down. HEY, it was supposed to be dry here! Anyway, got myself two alcoholic drinks and some other souvenirs.





The next morning I visited the Eagle Square.









After that I went into the Legends Park where all the different legends of the islands of Langkawi have been put into sculptures in a nice park setting. Unfortunately most of the explaining signs where so washed out that I couldn't read the explanations.











In the afternoon I got a taxi from Kuah to the West of the islands to Cenang beach where I checked into a guesthouse. Upon entering a Malay called Sam talked to me and introduced me to two British girls who were on their way to the beach, so I joined them. They left soon afterwards to drive somewhere but I stayed at the beach and read "The dead heart" by Douglas Kennedy. A book I got from my hostfamily as a Goodbye present. It is a story about Australia and although it is a rather scary story I was longing to go back to this weird country with the huge red emptiness.


The next three days I slept long, lay at the beach, ate spicy street food and in the evening would hang out with other backpackers, mostly drinking alcohol from the duty free shops :-) That's the life right? We were lucky with the weather as well, it didn't rain.



I could have stayed there forever. But on Monday morning I had to make my way by road to Kuala Lumpur. It took me 13 hours to get to my guesthouse where I am writing these lines right now. I still don't like Kuala Lumpur, so since I arrived yesterday I only went outside to get food and buy my last souvenirs. Other than that I would sleep or be on the internet planning my last days before I head back home.
Oh yes you guys, let's face it, in less than a week I will touch German ground again and to be honest, I am looking forward to it even though it feels weird to think about it now. But before than I still have quite a program to complete.
My next stop: I will finally make my way to the capitol of Australia: CANBERRA!!!
Yours duty-free-island-enjoying Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say now! Would you do the same thing or would you do it differently? Do you have any travel tipps for me for my onwards travels? let me know!