Tuesday 25 November 2014

Canberra - Discovering the Parliamentary Zone and a shocking feeling

Dear capitol lovers,

It was time to get into the Parliamentary Zone of Canberra! But first I had to close my Australian bank account which only took about 2 min. The bank clerk asked me how long I have traveled and admired that people like me are not afraid of quitting their jobs to travel for so long. Quite true, it isn’t easy to do it but definitely worth it.

After that I was on my way across the Commonwealth Avenue over Lake Burley Griffin. It was such a nice day and due to the low humidity (in contrast to Malaysia) I didn’t mind the long walk in the sun (but I put on sunscreen anyway).

This is the National Library as seen from the bridge.





And this the High Court with the International Flag Display.




This is the view from the Parliamentary Zone back into the city center.




I first walked along the lake at the “Australian of the Year walk”.






In the year I was born, 1985, Paul Hogan aka Crocodile Dundee became Australian of the Year :-)




This is the view over the lake and along the lake.













Then I walked into the National Library where I visited first the Treasury Gallery. Unfortunately photography within the building is prohibited. I asked where the original sketch of the Opera House from Utzon can be found which won the design competition. In Bill Bryson’s “Breakfast withkangaroos” he saw it in the National Library but nobody knew where it is now, so I left it at it.






Next I walked along the International Flag Display and into the Contemporary Part of the National Art Gallery. Again no photography allowed but I had to shake my head so hard at some of the stuff but others were quite funny. It isn’t big, so if you pass it pop in.
















Next I walked into the High Court where I had a good look at the artwork. The guard at the entrance handed me a brochure which explained them and I liked the massive great space inside the building.















Then I walked into Courtroom 1.









After that into Courtroom 2, Courtroom 3 wasn’t open this time.











And a selfie outside the High Court ;-)









Next door is the National Art Gallery, again no photography allowed.







Walking through the Rose Garden I walked past the Old Parliament House.









I had to walk up the Capitol Hill rather fast to get into the National Parliament to be able to attend the last FREE guided tour at 3:30pm. It was very interesting, our guide Andrew very funny and informative at the same time.










I peaked into the Great Hall where a private function was being prepared.




We walked into the Member's Hall.






Then we got into the House of Representatives.







Finally into the Senate. After this the tour ended after 45 minutes.











I got onto the roof of the parliament where you have this flag (the size of a doppel-decker bus) and a great view over the city.

















I stayed a few more minutes and thought that I liked Canberra much better than I thought I would. It doesn’t have the feeling of an important city as it was designed to fit into the beautiful natural setting of the Australian landscape. I liked this idea. And then I had a scary thought: in two days I will leave Australia! And this made me cry. I mean, I realized a few weeks ago that I will finally go back home. But on top of the National Parliament of Australia looking over Canberra I also realized that in order to get back home I have to leave Australia. This thought – as surprising as it sounds – didn’t occur to me before in this intensity (especially as I was busy traveling Singapore and Malaysia). Oh yeah, I am going to totally miss Australia!!! :-(








I walked back to the hostel, trying to hold back more tears as my thoughts circled around the fact that I will leave so soon.







I had a shower, then went into the Transit Bar next door to have a pizza with a Carlton Draught and thought about the best days I have had in Australia. And it was a lot to think about! If you have followed me on my journey and looked through my blog you know I have seen and done a lot in Australia. Until now I have always said that I would probably not come back to Australia as I have seen way more than I wanted to see, so there isn’t anything left for me to come back to. But today I realized that I truly fell in love with this country and I could totally imagine myself living here. So can you understand what a scary thought it was for me that the very next day, Saturday the 22nd of November 2014 would probably be my last day in this big big country…

My next and final stop: Sydney!

Yours Australian-capitol-exploring-and-Australia-loving Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say now! Would you do the same thing or would you do it differently? Do you have any travel tipps for me for my onwards travels? let me know!