Wednesday 19 November 2014

Australia - Birds in the wild

Dear loyal readers of my little blog,
During my time in Australia I had the chance and a fairly good camera to take pictures of lots of different birds in Australia. At one point during my Au Pair time in Perth I had enough time and the energy to look up their names on the internet (it was raining a lot, so no point in going out and exploring the country, right?).

I start with the most beautiful birds in my opinion: the parrots!

Here is a Carnaby`s Cockatoo which I encountered in King's Park in Perth. Only when I saw a picture of it in a Avon Valley brochure I recognised it as an endangered black cockatoo.




This beautiful fellow comes in large flocks and they are really noisy. I also saw them in King's Park in Perth. They are called Rainbow Lorikeet.



I saw lots of these Long-billed Corellas in Western Australia, in York and in Northam.



The Little Corellas look very similar to Long-billed Corellas. I found this flock in Adelaide on my way back from the Haigh's Chocolate Factory.



This is an Australian Ringneck which I met on a carpark in the Perth Hills near Mundaring Weir.



These are Galahs (what a nice name) and I saw them first on the East Coast near Rockhampton and then also on Kangaroo Island but they are also quite common near the Canning River, Perth. You can see a different intensity in the brightness of the colors.





This Crimson Rosella was high in the trees close to the Kelly Hill Caves on Kangaroo Island.



This is a Sulphur-crested Cockatoo. Markus and I were told they were very rare and we were so happy to see them flying around the Blue Mountains and also in Rockhampton. But according to the internet their population is secured.




 Now I will lead over to birds of prey.

The only one I have been able to take a decent picture of is this Eastern Osprey, I saw it in Western Australia on Rottnest Island.



Australia is surrounded by a lot of water which is also a vital part of Australian life.

Therefore most cities and farms are located at the coastline and lots of water birds and sea birds can be seen.

This is a Silver Gull, probably the most-known seagull. I encountered them everywhere, but especially on Penguin Island and at the Sunset Coast.



This is a Black-faced Cormorant which I saw on Rottnest Island. From far away they look a bit like penguins, don't you think?



This Buff-banded Rail joined me for lunch on Penguin Island.



As a child I always thought all ducks look the same but they don't. This is a typical Pacific Black Duck which I watched in the Synergy Park in King's Park in Perth.



Anybody an idea what this is? I also saw this in King's Park in Perth



As these sea birds didn't look like an ordinary seagull I took a picture and found out that these are Crested Terns which I observed in Busselton.



Although you cannot see the significant white forehead shield on this picture I am certain this is an Eurasian Coot. Because of its strange head I took this picture in the first place in Northam.



And here is one of the scary Australian Pelican. I saw them in CairnsPort Adelaide and Northam, and probably in quite a few more places as well.



These are the famous Black Swans which are so unique to Australia as Kangaroos and Koalas. I saw them first in Melbourne but also in Adelaide and Perth (Western Australia even has a Black Swan as a symbol on their state flag).



Well, White Swans are not native to Australia and actually have been introduced by settlers. You can mainly see them in Northam but apparently some exist in Melbourne as well.



Anybody has an idea what this is? We saw it in the Daintree Forrest



Although we used the full zoom of the camera the boat on the Daintree River was already to far away to catch a closer picture. I am sure this is a Eastern Reef Egret.



I am fairly confident to have taken a picture of a Royal Spoonbill in the Daintree Forrest.



And here is a Yellow-billed Spoonbill from Perth.



Anybody know what the name of this bird is?



Or this one?



This is a Purple Swamphen as seen in Perth near the Canning River.


What ducks are these? Saw them in Perth as well. Probably male and female.



Or this one? This bird dives and was drying its feathers in the sun after its diving.


Some more unknown ducks in Perth.


And who is this?


Saw these in Perth after a storm. A very large flock.


And this one? Also in Perth after the storm.



Australian Wood Duck in Perth. First the female and then the male.






Penguins are just birds. So here are the Little Penguins which I saw on the Great Ocean Road, then in St. Kilda in Melbourne and also on Penguin Island.




 Now I'd like to go over to bush birds.

These are sometimes much harder to take pictures of because, well, they hide in the bush, right?

This is probably one of the most famous birds of Australia: the Kookaburra who I first encountered after nearly six months in Australia in King's Park in Perth with Christine.




Here is a Red Wattlebird which I saw in King's Park in Perth.




This is a common Australian Magpie. I saw them on the East Coast and in Tasmania and also in Western Australia.



This really small bird is very fast moving. I took this picture at Lucky Bay. It is a New Holland Honeyeater.



This is the Singing Honeyeater which I took a picture of in Perth near the Canning River.
 


This is an Australian White Ibis. Apparently quite a pest especially in Sydney and in other urban areas as they search through bins and even aggressively attack children who have food in their hands.



Straw-necked Ibis in Perth near the Canning River.
 


This is an Australian Brush-turkey which we saw in Byron Bay (of all places).



No idea what this is. We saw it in the Daintree Forrest. Very good camouflage!



 Who are these? Also seen in the Daintree Forrest. Crossed our path near Cape Tribulation.



Well, Emus are quite common around Australia. We saw them first in the wild on the Great Ocean Road.



This really tiny bird was hopping around our car on our first day on Kangaroo Island. It moved so fast it was very hard to take a good picture. I think it is a Grey Fantail, but not 100% sure.



Not sure what this is, also seen on Kangaroo Island. Not sure if it is an Australian Magpie as it looks different.



I used the full zoom of my camera again to take this picture as otherwise it would fly immediate if you get anywhere near it. It is a Scarlet Robin.From Kangaroo Island



And these are Cape Barren Goose which have been introduced to Kangaroo Island where I took a picture of them.


 
Australian Raven also in Perth but also anywhere in Australia nearly (except maybe the Outback).


Some sort of dove in Perth.


Silvereye in Perth. What a beautiful name for a bird.



Well, that's quite a lot of birds, don't you think? I was surprised myself when I did all the research and discovered more and more bird pictures in my Australia-folder.
Would you please help me find the remaining names???
Yours frequently-bird-photographer Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say now! Would you do the same thing or would you do it differently? Do you have any travel tipps for me for my onwards travels? let me know!