Saturday 16 August 2014

Darwin - Car return, beer and a night at the airport

Dear last day lovers (do they exist?),
On Day 30 of our West Coast tour Charlotte and I got up early (I HATE getting up early...) again at 7:15am. It was a warm night in the car and I didn't sleep well. We hand-washed our Johnny Cash car in the Noonamah Tourist Park before we went for a search of a car wash where we could use a hover to get the last dust out.






We arrived at the Wickedcamper depot in Darwin at 10am to not only return the car but also explain how we had to downsize to this car as our Tankgirl van broke down although we had paid a lot of money for a Premium 5 seater van. But all we got was an email address where we should express our complaint... Well, we got all our stuff together and walked 10 minutes to the Melaleuca hostel where Charlotte would stay for another few nights. We had lunch there at the deck and wrote a long email to Wickedcamper. Then we took off to book a seat in the Ghan (the Outback train connecting Darwin and Adelaide straight through the Red Center) but the next train was booked out. After some search she booked herself a seat in a Greyhound bus which will take 22 hours from Darwin to Alice Springs!
We walked a little bit through the CBD, got some souvenirs and I got myself a beer which I secretly enjoyed at the city lagoon as drinking alcohol in public outside an licenced area is prohibited in Australia.


We stayed about two hours at the city lagoon, I read a book, wrote postcards and thought about the trip and the future. We went back to the hostel for some soup for dinner and watched cricket on the television. At 9pm it was time for us to say Goodbye to each other... 30 day we managed to stick to each other on this crazy journey which I will surely never forget!!!
I took the shuttle to the airport where I spent the night. I met some other travellers who had flights in the middle of the night to keep company with. I was even able to sleep a few hours on a couch before I took the plane at 6:55am in the morning.



Well, my next stop: well-known Perth!
Yours roadtrip-finishing Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say now! Would you do the same thing or would you do it differently? Do you have any travel tipps for me for my onwards travels? let me know!