Monday 1 December 2014

Stuttgart - Jetlag, bureaucracy and dreaming

Dear home-coming lovers,
Just a week ago I had quite a journey to complete. After my climb up the Sydney Harbour Bridge I slept very badly in the warm dorm room. At 6am I was awake and packed all my luggage. With the airport shuttle I got to the Sydney International Airport to check-in my suitcase which weighted 19.6 kg and then got through immigration and onto my first plane with Vietnam Airlines towards Ho-Chi-Minh-City. After nearly 9 hours we arrived there at 5pm local time. I waited 7 hours to board my second plane to Frankfurt Main and luckily had three seats to myself!!! HURRAY! Despite being able to lie down I didn't sleep too well and 13 hours later I touched down on German ground at 6:45am.
Well, I would say thanks to German efficiency within 30 minutes I was out of the aircraft, through immigration and with my suitcase out of the arrival hall and in Markus' arms!!! We were both so overwhelmed that we didn't take any pictures but I was a mess anyway. Markus has brought me all my winter gear: winter jacket, scarf, gloves and winter boots. We got into the car and drove to our first stop: the German Employment Office in Stuttgart!



Yeah, I had to register myself as back in Germany and unemployed for insurance reasons and we wanted to get this done with asap. And sure enough within 30 minutes I was out again with all the necessary paperwork in my bag! The clerk was very friendly and understanding. She put all the data into her system, explained the next steps to me and then told me to get some sleep. Well, that was exactly what I didn't have in mind. Why? In order to get rid of the jetlag as soon as possible I had to adjust to the right times for sleeping and eating straight away. Markus and I applied the same strategy when we arrived in Sydney. So the mission for me was to stay awake at least until 10pm. We drove to our flat where we took this picture with Markus' phone on our couch. You can see a bit of our kangaroo Sheila in the back.


After lunch (Maultaschen with eggs) it got really difficult to not fall asleep.


I had difficulties to comprehend the facts that I have left Australia and that I am indeed back in Germany. It all felt like a big blurr or a dream: have I been away for a whole year? Did I really do all those things? Why is everybody driving on the right side of the street???
I tried to think of things to tell Markus about but then my mind went blank or too many things at once wanted to get out. I also had problems to speak proper German as English words popped up in my head all the time. Unfortunately we couldn't stay in the warm flat (Markus had to turn up the temperature, so I wouldn't shiver the whole time) but had to get out again for his little sister's birthday dinner. It was a nice evening with his family but I was so happy when I got into my own bed again after a year at 10pm. But I couldn't sleep very good. I dreamt stupid things and woke up at 1am and 4am (totally hungry as for my body it was past lunchtime). The next day I just couldn't resist a midday nap before we went grocery shopping.


This was the worst jetlag I have ever experienced in my life. Even after 5 days unpacking my suitcase looked like this and I am normally a very organised person who likes to put things straight back to where they belong.


After a week I still wake up before 6am (and as you might know I am NOT a morning person) and by 8pm I can hardly keep my eyes open. When you are away for a year quite a few things pile up as well. Like your mail. This was the pile that waited for me and it took nearly 3 hours to go through it.


I had to contact a lot of people, arrange appointments (the employment office, insurance, doctor) and of course meet my family :-) We invited Markus' family and my family for lunch and coffee to Stuttgart and I decorated the table a bit Australian style with boomerangs and stuff. Whatever you say, this is a kangaroo and not a rabbit!


After lunch in town we walked around the Stuttgart Christmas Market. Oh yes, it is nearly upon us! I had to get used to that as well. I mean in over 30 degrees Celsius you don't really get into a Christmassy mood but with the temperatures here I have to accept that fact.


Well, I would say that the temperatures are my biggest issue. Although it is over 20 degrees Celsius in our flat I wear long-sleeves as I write these lines. And I just cannot believe that a whole week since I arrived has already flown by.
But what surprises me more is that I have survived nearly 11 months on the most dangerous continent on earth. And not only that, I totally fell in love with it! It feels like a far-away dream at the moment. Would I change anything? Yes, I would choose my backpack instead of my suitcase but absolutely nothing else. Will I go back? I totally hope so...
Yours freezing-jetlagged-and-Australia-missing Stefanie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have your say now! Would you do the same thing or would you do it differently? Do you have any travel tipps for me for my onwards travels? let me know!