Sunday 31 May 2015

Stuttgart after 6 months - Why the real life is nice and also kind of sucks

Dear real life lovers,

Six months... I cannot make this sound right in my head. I arrived back in Stuttgart six whole months ago. Where the heck did the time go? Of course a lot happened since I got back but it stills feels like less than a month since I left Australia behind to land back in cold old Germany.



I battled a massive jetlag, celebrated my 29th birthday with a beautiful cake with my family, started into the new year with my Markus and started a new job mid-January. Even Christine visited me whom I met in Melbourne and who also visited me in Perth.




It is still hard for me sometimes to believe to be back in the "real" life. I mean, of course it is nice to be back.

I am with my family, my boyfriend and my friends
I have a job as an engineer and do not earn some ridiculous 10 AUD per hour for cleaning or chasing little kids (serious hard work)
I can sleep in my own very comfy bed again (HEAVEN)
My regular meals do not mainly consist of pasta anymore (YEAH)
I have a bigger choice of clothing (nice)
I don't have to worry about my passport, my camera and my belongings in general
Everything is like I remembered it and all is in order (typical German)

And well, this last point also kind of sucks!
I never thought of myself as an adventurous person but sometimes I ask myself what's the point of going out and about in Germany?
Where is the adventure?
What spectacular things are awaiting me?
Why should I wander around the Stuttgart region?
Where are the kangaroos, koalas and  venomous animals?
Where are the open-minded travellers who become friends for life within half an hour?
And where the hell is the long open road to venture along???



I have probably watched my own travel video over 30 times and every time it puts a smile on my face and brings tears to my eyes. I miss Australia... like hell...
I am also scared by the thought that this might have been the one and only time I should ever experience this kind of freedom and adventure... I am so happy I grabbed this opportunity and I do not regret a second of this year although it hasn't always been perfect or like I imagined it. There were up and downs and lots of draw-backs. I missed home, my family, my boyfriend, my old job and a well-organised predictable life. Now that I have all of it, I miss the unknown, the hostels, the landscapes and unexpected turns of life.

There is only one explanation to these ungrateful thoughts of mine: I have been bitten by the (Australian) travel bug!

And there isn't a cure to this!

The only thing I can do is to smoothen the symptoms every now and then by travelling the world, right? Markus and I are planning our next road trip but it will never be the same like it has been in Australia. It has been such a big dream of mine for so long, it feels like nothing can come anywhere close to it. I think I have to return to Australia someday to pick up the piece of my heart that I lost there...

Whenever I see a movie, documentary or even a picture of Australia I have to stop and watch it. All those memories come back to me and it feels unreal. Even music that I connect with Australia makes me daydream and I get death stares when smiling randomly at strangers. Have I really been there just six months ago?

At first I thought I haven't changed except for my longer hair. And yes, from the outside I haven't changed a lot. But Australia has changed me as a person. I feel the urge to quit everything again and just travel. Wherever! Don't plan anything, it's going to be amazing.
ME and NOT planning??? Never thought I would ever write this and truly stand behind it. Well, a bit of planning maybe...

Do you feel the same? Have you got the wander lust syndrome too? Where would you go next? And can you help me???

Yours travel-bug-bitten Stefanie

1 comment:

Have your say now! Would you do the same thing or would you do it differently? Do you have any travel tipps for me for my onwards travels? let me know!